As we’ve seen in other statistics, Deloitte’s annual holiday survey of 2008 Canadians 18+ indicates more will shop online this holiday season. They’re still not too enthusiastic about using their SmartPhone to shop online, but they are big fans of omnichannel benefits.
73.2% of Canadian consumers will use the Internet to assist in holiday shopping, with 29.9% choosing a mobile device. They will visit store sites, social media, blogs and other online shopping resources in their quest for the perfect gift. Canadians will surf for inspiration, information, price comparison and discounts.
Statistical Snapshot of Canadian Online Holiday Shoppers in 2013
- 27.9% of Canadians prefer online shopping to going to stores
- Canadian consumers will spend 18.9% of their holiday budget online
- Online shopping and deals appeal most to those earning over $75,000/year
- 26% are open to sharing their personal information in exchange for special deals or other preferential treatment
- 23.8% are interested in comparing prices while they shop using their SmartPhone
- 20.9% would use their SmartPhone more if it increased shopping efficiency
- 14.1% of Canadians would use their SmartPhone to pay for purchases
While Canadians are still hesitant to take advantage of SmartPhone shopping, they love the options offered by omnichannel retail.
The report states, “Omnichannel allows consumers to seamlessly shop however they want – online, via mobile, or in-store. In particular, consumers are demanding ‘click and collect’, in-store returns of online purchases, real time inventory updates, and the ability to source out-of-stock items. Canadian retailers must address these demands if they are to fully meet the expectations of today’s consumer.”
Top 7 Ways Canadian Holiday Shoppers use the Internet
- Check prices
- Find deals & coupons
- Research (recommendations, product reviews, etc.)
- Gift inspiration
- Find out what gifts their friends and families want
- Share their own wish list
- Coordinate shopping with their family and/or friends
Online marketers should note the social media and blogger outreach opportunities here. Make it easy for Canadian consumers to find you online with creative use of your own blog, and utilize other blogs with guest posting, product reviews, advertising, etc. Extend the content to social media and get people talking about it.
Deloitte has designed the following infographic to provide a general overview of the survey results:
Source: 2013 Holiday Retail Outlook
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
More Canadians will do 2013 Holiday Shopping Online (Statistics)
Canadian Online Shopping and Digital Demands (2013 Statistics)
Reaching Canadian Consumers Through Niche Bloggers
Top Reasons Canadians Share Content on Social Media (2013 Statistics)
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.