Peering inside professional marketing minds to get a glimpse of their strategies can help Canadian businesses identify key elements to base their own marketing strategy on. We can pinpoint trends, while also determining where it would be best to colour outside the lines to maintain originality. Marketing data validates our plans, inspires new strategies, and lets us know when it’s time to move into new marketing territory.
The 8th Annual BrandSpark Canadian Marketers Survey was conducted in March and April of 2013 by the Canadian Marketing Association, the Mobile Marketing Association and BrandSpark International. Hundreds of marketers all across Canada participated in the survey, resulting in a realistic snapshot of their activities and plans. A summary of the survey results was released in July, 2013.
All Eyes are on Internet and Mobile Marketing
Not surprisingly, planned Canadian marketing tactics focused heavily on mobile and online marketing:
- 90% of marketers will implement online marketing
- 85% of marketers will employ social marketing strategies
- 69% will maintain or launch new mobile marketing strategies
Top 10 Marketing Tactics that Canadian Marketers Intend to Implement
1. Internet Marketing
2. Social Marketing
3. Existing Product Innovation
4. New Product Development
5. Influencer Program Expansion
6. Mobile Marketing
7. Increased Effort in Public Relations
8. Using Mobile Technology in Advertising
9. Word-of-Mouth Program Expansion
10. Brand Mobile Marketing Repositioning
Canadian Mobile Marketing Strategies
- 60% are considering a mobile marketing strategy that includes mobile app’s
- 53% will focus on Social media on mobile devices
- 49% will utilize mobile landing pages with promotions
- 43% of Canadian marketers will use mobile-optimized paid search
- 39% will use mobile display options
- 36% will use print QR codes
- 33% plan to utilize mobile messaging
- 26% will bring people in with coupons
- 22% intend to use real time Canadian geo-targeting
- 21% will push out alerts
- 20% plan to use text-messaging ‘call to action’ in print advertising
- 17% will use macro Canadian geo-targeting
- 5% have other mobile marketing strategies in mind
While Canadian marketers have generally recognized the value in online and mobile, they’re still struggling with the ROI aspect. Their comfort zone remains offline in traditional advertising.
“Marketers seem more likely to say that the ROI is unclear for new media channels including social, mobile, online video and marketing automation, than for other channels,” says Robert Levy, President BrandSpark International.
Canadian marketers assume the highest ROI comes from from:
- Paid Search
- Promotions /Activations
- Email Marketing
Full results of this survey will be published in the 2014 Canadian Marketing Association Marketing Facts publication, available in December, 2013.
Canadian entrepreneurs and marketers remain largely baffled by mobile and digital marketing, and they are in danger of missing out on a rapidly growing opportunity.
If some education is in order:
Understanding Digital Marketing: Marketing Strategies for Engaging the Digital Generation, by Ryan Damian and Jones Calvin
Mobilized Marketing: How to Drive Sales, Engagement, and Loyalty Through Mobile Devices, by Jeff Hasen.
Author Kim Dushinski offers an impressive line of mobile marketing training products and services.
What are your marketing plans for next year? We’d love to hear about them in the comments below.
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Canadian SmartPhone Use will Surf Past 50% in 2013
Economical Hiring – A Marketing Assistant Can Manage Your Online Presence
Canadian Digital Behaviour for Businesses (Statistics)
15 Easy Ways to Let Search Engines Know Your Business is Canadian
7 Free Canadian-Theme Blank Banners
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.