If you’re marketing to Canadian Moms, the social Web is where you should be, according to the “Canadian Digital Mom 2012 Report” published this month by Mom Central Consulting. The survey indicates the most popular activity for online Canadian Moms is social networking and related online activities.
Online Canadian Mom Survey Highlights
- 58% Visit social networking websites every day, with an additional 19% logging in weekly. The most popular social network in Canada among Canadian Moms is Facebook, followed by YouTube (46%), Google+ (32%) and Pinterest (23%).
- Canadian Moms are an engaged group:
– Only 30% of respondents had never interacted with a brand via social media.
– 63% have ‘Liked’ a business page on Facebook and 26% have commented on those pages. 19% had posted about a brand on their personal Facebook page.
– Only 4% had responded to a brand on Twitter, and 4% Tweeted about a brand.
- 15% Visit forums or discussion boards daily, with 9% actively participating. An additional 16% check these online communities weekly (11% participating) and 21% monthly (12% participating).
- 10% of Canadian Moms watch videos posted on the social Web every day. 28% watch videos weekly, and 31% click ‘Play’ monthly.
- 7% of Moms in Canada are into Twitter, reading Tweets daily. Another 7% read Tweets weekly and a further 8% check Twitter monthly.
Blog Activity of Canadian Moms
- 7% Read blogs daily. An additional 15% read blogs on a weekly basis, and 16% monthly.
- 5% of Canadian Moms comment on blogs daily, 8% weekly and 10% monthly.
- 5% of those surveyed work on their own blog every day. An additional 3% work on their own blog weekly, and 5% monthly.
- 3% of Canadian Mom bloggers wrote a post about a brand or product.
Expand your Social Web Horizons
Most Canadian Web businesses are now fully aware of the advantages of social network promotion, engagement, and monitoring social conversation with tools like Vancouver’s Hootsuite. Marketing to women is hardly a new concept either. Probably the most underutilized outlet for social marketing to any demographic in Canada, is blog marketing. Popular blogs help with branding and traffic, as well as offering link-building opportunities (guest posting, reviews, sponsored posts, etc.) for search engine optimization (SEO).
The most common mistake in that regard would have to be approaching only “Mommy blogs” for advertising or guest posting. Moms are everywhere online and while they may enjoy reading a blog specifically about being a Mom, try thinking outside the box if you really want to reach this demographic.
Tip: It’s important to remember that if a blogger happens to be a Mom, it doesn’t make her a “Mommy Blogger” any more than an accountant being a Mom makes her a “Mommy Accountant”. Bloggers can be influential in general or they may have special insight because of their gender or role, but their influence is based on much more than their reproduction experience.
Forums, message boards and other online communities still offer a well-targeted opportunity to marketers, especially in specific niches (pets, working women, hobbies, and so on). Many offer advertising options. A lot of them also allow a link in your signature, which offers exposure, branding, and the opportunity to demonstrate your expertise. Check their guidelines before advertising though, as many have strict rules about it.
Mom Central Consulting
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
PR3+ Canadian-Owned Blogs for Blogger Outreach and Guest Posts
Top Reasons Canadians Share Content on Social Media (2013 Statistics)
7 Ways to Reach More of the 19 Million Canadian Facebook Users
How to Use Content Marketing to Skyrocket Holiday Sales
Review: LinkedU Advanced LinkedIn Marketing Training
Listen Up, Brands: What Online Canadian Moms Want (Statistics)
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have high quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.