Some of the most commonly used search words by Canadian shoppers are Canadian, Canada, and/or the name of a province, such as “buy business supplies Alberta Canada”. This is also true of shoppers searching for local stores, restaurants, etc. Search engines use keywords and other methods to determine the location of business websites, be that in your neighbourhood or nationally. These algorithms are used to provide results for searchers who specify a locality, and they’re also used in narrowing results automatically based on the searcher’s IP address or other identifying information.
Localized Search Engine Optimization for Canadian Businesses
One of the reasons Canadians aren’t finding local or national establishments for online or offline shopping, is the lack of local organic search engine optimization (SEO). Optimizing your website to grab these shoppers can give you a serious competitive advantage over US and other Canadian websites, as well as offline competitors. Following are 15 ways to let search engines know what country, province or city your business is located in.
- Make a list of related keywords and add a location to them. Use them in your content whenever you can do so without it making it sound awkward. It’s important to remember the golden search rule of not overusing your keywords. Use them where they fit naturally with product information, company information, and shipping pages, as well as in blog posts.
- Your address can be included at the bottom of every page.
- Testimonials can be included on product pages with the customers’ name, city, province and country.
- Insert location keywords with helpful information, such as “Prices are in Canadian dollars” or “Made in Canada”.
- Use the Canadian spelling of words, such as catalogue, centre, or colour.
- Use your location keywords in the image file name, alt tag, title and description.
- Have a French version of your website.
- Purchase a .ca or provincial domain extension so engines can easily identify you as Canadian. You can find a list of website hosts offering .ca domain extensions and other Canadian-friendly options in our Checklist: Choosing a Website Host for your Canadian Business.
- The major search engines allow you to add your country manually if you prefer an international domain extension such as .com or .net. Go to Region for Search Results on the Settings page.
- Ensure that your website information is current in the Whois database.
- Manual submission to search engines.
Submit your website to Canadian, provincial and city directories, such as:
Industry Canada Business Directory
Canada One Business Directory
Submit your website to large directories that accommodate localized search, such as the Bing Business Portal.
- The potential for working keywords into blog posts and post titles is virtually endless, and blogs offer a host of other SEO benefits.
- Submit guest posts to blogs in your area or national blogs, and include your website link in the author bio. Use our PR3+ Canadian-Owned Blogs for Blogger Outreach and Guest Posts listing to get started.
- Join local online communities and add a link to your signature if they allow it. Fill out the profile page and include your website link with keywords if possible.
- Add your location to social media accounts.
Bonus Tip: Sponsor local events and charities and give organizers your website URL (most events are shared online).
Have you found other ways to tell search engines to send Canadian shoppers to you? Please share your tips in the comments below.
Jones, Ron. Keyword Intelligence: Keyword Research for Search, Social, and Beyond. 2012.
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Canadian Stores Can Grab Global Online Shoppers (Statistics)
Should you Register a .ca Domain for your Canadian Business?
10 Hot Product Niches to Sell or Drop Ship Online in Canada
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have high quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.