Canadian publishers were surveyed by Booknet Canada to determine their eBook sales and distribution strategy and results in 2013. Almost 90% of respondents publish in the eBook format. A strong 80% of respondents reported eBook sales in Canada through multiple channels in the past year. Retail is the most successful sales channel overall, lead by Kobo. One in three publishers reported more than 10% of their revenue came from eBook sales.
Ebook Distribution by Publishers in Canada
- 91% of Canadian publishers said they distribute eBooks through retailers.
- 45% of publishers go through wholesalers
- 42% sell direct, such as through a website
- 15% distribute eBooks through other channels
Publishers Utilize a Number of Pricing Models
- The most popular pricing model is direct to reader, at 49%.
- Agency 28%
- Unsure 18%
- Other 4%
- Rental 1%
Top 9 Canadian eBook Retailers
- Apple iBookStore
Barnes and Noble
- Diesel eBooks
- Books On Board (No longer in business)
Canadian Publisher eBook Revenue Data
- 64% of Canadian publishers generate 1-10% of their total revenue from eBook sales
- 18% of Canadian publishers generate 11-20% of their total revenue from eBook sales
- 8% of Canadian publishers generate more than 30% of their total revenue from eBook sales
- 5% of Canadian publishers generate 21-30% of their total revenue from eBook sales
- 5% of Canadian publishers generate no revenue from eBook sales
It was noted that 20% of published eBooks registered no sales in Canada, but that may be due to them being free, incompatible formats, or a lack of effective marketing.
Side note: Just over half (53%) of Canadian publishers use Adobe InDesign to produce eBooks.
Source: Booknet Canada The State of Digital Publishing in Canada 2013
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Writing with Clarity Online: Cheat Sheet (Infographic)
How to Develop Your Own Online Coaching Info-Products
Ebook and Online Sales Blamed for Drop in Canadian Offline Book Sales
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.