We have found statistical differences in how French Canadians use the Internet before. Most of the differences are assumed to be due to a lack of French content online, including on social media networks. This IAB Canada research reveals differences at a more tangible level with device usage statistics for 2015.
Canadian and French Canadian Device Usage for Internet Access
- Desktop and Laptop usage is very similar in this country, with 90% of Canadians accessing the Internet with one or the other, compared to 87% of French Canada.
- The most surprising difference is the use of Smartphones, with 70% of all Canadians and only 58% of French Canadians using them to access the Internet.
- Both French Canadians and Canadians as a whole are approaching the halfway penetration point for game console access, at 41% and 46% respectively.
- Both French Canadians (46%) and total Canadians (51%) are tablet fans.
- Over The Top (OTT) is a service more than a device. It encompasses third party access to media via the Internet. Netflix and Hulu are popular examples of OTT access. 34% of French Canada and 36% of total Canadians use OTT access.
- Four Screens is the choice of 23% of Canadians, but only 12% of French Canadians use it.
- Usage data for Wearables is hard to come by, especially in Canada. This study indicated that 10% of both French Canadians and all Canadians use wearable devices to access the Internet.
- Car Connectivity is another number that is in the early stages of both market penetration, and measurement of that penetration. Canadian and French Canadian usage of car connectivity is tied at 4%, according to this research.
Do these differences within Canada surprise you? Do you have any theories as to why? Please share your comments below.
Source: IAB Canada 2015 Canadian Media Usage Trends (CMUST)
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
French Social Networking in Quebec (Statistics & Tips)
Study: Omni-Channel is the Key to Success in Retail Today
Canadians Now Use Mobile More Than Computers (Statistics & Tips)
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In over 20 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and eCommerce websites.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.