Canadian businesses have struggled with eCommerce in general, which in turn has left many of them overwhelmed by the omni/multi-channel experience today’s consumers want. 2015 statistics from a survey done by Deloitte and Tulip Retail, indicate a storefront is still a popular purchase point, but shoppers also want digital options. This data suggests that while eCommerce and multichannel options are expected as part of a satisfying shopping experience, they aren’t replacing the in-store experience. In fact, 70% claim that over 50% of purchases are still made in their store.
Points of Interest
- 30% of respondents wish they could offer better shipping options from their store.
- 70% of responding retailers have a Canadian loyalty program, and 40% of them intend to invest more into their loyalty programs.
- Less than 40% of Canadian retailers surveyed provide mobile devices to their sales and customer service staff.
- 50% of respondents extend their price-matching policies to web-based retailers.
- Almost 30% of participating retailers are investing in analytics to build customer loyalty. 22% would like to base more business decisions on analytics.
The Top 5 Omnichannel Challenges:
1. Budgetary constraints
2. Supply chain operations
3. Required IT investments
4. Resourcing limitations
5. Lack of marketing effectiveness
“Retailers need to work harder to provide their customers with an integrated experience – a combination of physical stores, eCommerce, multiple effortless options for delivery and returns,” the report states. “At the end of the day, a robust Omnichannel organization that delivers a superior customer experience across all channels is the only option for survival in the marketplace. And the best chance for that is with leaders who can reimagine retail with the consumer in mind.”
We Have a Plan
Canadian retailers are strategizing to level the playing field between them and their online competitors by:
- Pricing competitively.
- Providing knowledgeable staff.
- Building a recognizable brand.
- Modernizing the shopping experience.
- Utilizing customer relationship management and leveraging analytics.
What are you doing to combine the online and offline retail worlds?
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Canadian Omni-Channel Panel Shares Insights
Test eCommerce Waters with Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have high quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In over 20 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and eCommerce websites.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.