Online businesses need more insight into how Canadians use the Internet. A new Ipsos syndicated study, Participation in the Digital Economy, examines Canadian Internet use at home and what prevents them from participating in the digital economy.
Canadian Participation in the Digital Economy
The infographic published by Ipsos reveals some interesting data.
- When it comes to actual participation in the digital economy, 56% of Canadians rank moderate to very low.
- 95% of Canadians access the Internet from somewhere, with 91% accessing from home. 5% of those who do not access the Internet from home said they don’t use the Internet at all. 2% go online outside of their home.
- 68% of Canadians have mobile Internet access. 2% of Canadians only go online via mobile, with 68% owning a Smartphone and 58% owning a tablet.
The 9% of Canadians who do not subscribe to the Internet at home report affordability is only one factor:
- 49% simply aren’t interested.
- 30% say Internet access is too expensive in Canada.
- 22% say a lack the skills or usability issues prevent them from going online.
- 8% cite a lack of Internet availability as the reason they don’t access it.
How do you think we could improve Canadian participation in the digital economy? Please share your thoughts in the comments below.
You may also be interested in reading:
Top 13 Reasons Canadians Shop Online (Statistics)
Listen Up, Brands: What Online Canadian Moms Want (Statistics)
Canadian Grocery Shoppers Hungry for Omni-Channel Savings and Convenience (Statistics)
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In over 20 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and eCommerce websites.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.
We need to lower the price of access for sure! The internet is every bit as important as having a phone these days. Its an essential service and should be priced accordingly.
Such a unique Canadian site. I lost count of how many articles I read here today and I’ll sure be back. To answer your question I think the holdouts are probably the elderly.