Statistics Canada released its Household Expenditures Research Paper Series #1 in January, 2014. The report includes expenditure data from their 2012 Survey of Household Spending. Communications expenditures included cell phone and Internet use. These statistics were gathered from a sample of 17,557 households in 10 provinces.
Cell Phone Data
- 81.4% of Canadian households reported having at least one cell phone in their home (up from 79.4% in 2011).
- Alberta has the highest number of households with a cell phone at 90.1%, while Quebec has the lowest at 72.8%.
- 15% of Canadian households use only a cell phone in their home with no landline phone (up from 12.8% in 2011).
Mobile penetration in Canada has been rapid in the past couple of years, to a point that 2012 data isn’t much of an indicator of today’s cell phone use.
- 84.1% of Canadians have a computer in their home (holding steady with 2011 computer ownership at 84.5).
- 81.5% of households have Internet access (up from 80.5% in 2011).
- Canadian households in the West are more likely to have home Internet access, lead by Alberta at 87.3% and British Columbia at 84.3%.
- Canadian households in the East had the lowest rate of home Internet connection, with Prince Edward Island being the least likely at 75%, followed by New Brunswick at 76.6%.
- 3.7% use regular “dial up” phone Internet access (down from 5.2% in 2011).
- 27.5% use high-speed phone Internet access (down from 30.4% in 2011).
- 36.8% use cable Internet access (up from 35.4% in 2011).
- 13.3% use a wireless Internet connection (up from 8.1% in 2011).
We expect the scales to tip significantly towards wireless connections when more recent data is released.
Do Canadian consumer statistics influence how you do business or marketing? Please tell us about it in the comments below.
Source: Statistics Canada User Guide for the Survey of Household Spending, 2012
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Canadians with an Internet Connection (Statistics)
Canadian Digital Behaviour for Businesses (Statistics)
Canadians Spending More Online Than Ever (Stat’s & Infographic)
Mobile Surpasses PC Use and Video Rules in Canada (Statistics) ©
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In over 20 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and eCommerce websites.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.