French-speaking Canadians living in Quebec are overall less likely than other Canadians to participate in social media, according to a survey conducted by CEFRIO. It is probable that a lack of French content on social networks is to blame. This information can benefit Canadian businesses that include Quebec in their geographical target market.
Social network participation in Quebec
Quebecers on YouTube
Quebecers on Facebook
Quebecers on Google+
Quebecers on LinkedIn
Quebecers on Twitter
Quebecers on Pinterest
Using Social Media to Engage French-Speaking Quebec
- Focus on the networks most popular with French-speaking Quebecers
- Provide French translations of posts on social networks
- Consider creating a French version of your website
- Offer bilingual online customer service
- Once your French-friendly practices are in place, advertise on Quebec websites/blogs or use French banners on any Canadian site that has a French version.
You can hire a translator or go with a reputable translation software.
French-speaking Quebecers are accustomed to living in a society that caters to their language requirements. It isn’t reasonable to expect the same level of consideration from the rest of Canada when English is the official language. However, it is a perfectly reasonable expectation if you want them to purchase your products and services.
Need some guidance? Here are a few expert resources to help you learn more about using social media for business success:
- Free LinkedIn training is available at LinkedU: How to Create a Massive LinkedIn Referral Network with THE Most Influential Players in Your Market.
- The book Likeable Social Media: How to Delight Your Customers, Create an Irresistible Brand, and Be Amazing on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, and More, was revised and expanded in 2015 and is perfect for social media novices.
Have you enjoyed business success with francophone Quebec? Please share your experience in the comments below.
✔ You may also be interested in reading:
Social Media Strategy: The Who, What, When, Where, Why and How
Canadian Social Media Statistics
The Elusive ROI of Social Media [Infographic]
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website (all or in part) may NOT be used elsewhere without expressed permission. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In 25 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and ecommerce websites. Her book, 7 Recession Proof Online Businesses to Start From Home, is available on Amazon.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.