Paypal’s latest US competitor, Stripe, extended its services to Canadian online businesses this month. The expansion comes only one year after Stripe’s launch in the US. Canada has been suffering from limited options in online payments and is expected to quickly embrace Stripe.
“We’ve been testing our service in Canada over the summer. We’re grateful to have received extensive feedback and help from companies including Tarsnap, MetaLab, and Shopify, all of whom have now been using Stripe for a few months,” Stripe states on their blog.
- Website script installation on websites. This means customers aren’t taken to another website to complete their transactions as they are with Paypal.
- Shoppers don’t require a Stripe account to use the payment system.
- Major credit cards are supported without the expense, security & privacy hassles, and waiting period experienced with direct credit card account setup.
- Free to sign up. Stripe’s transaction fees are 2.9 percent of the sale plus 30 cents for every transaction.
- 7 day waiting period for payments to be transferred to your bank account
- Geographic restrictions (shoppers must be in the US or Canada for now)
- May alienate Paypal shoppers
It requires a leap of faith to place your online payment system in the hands of a startup. Stripe has signed some recognizable names, however, including Four Square and Fast Company. Canada needs healthy competition in credit card processing so we say “Welcome to Canada, Stripe!”
© CanadiansInternet.com – Content on this website may not be used elsewhere without expressed permission. You are welcome to link to this post for reference, discussion, etc. Content theft will result in legal action. Thank you for respecting the effort that we have put into our original content. If you would like to have quality content created for you, please contact our writer directly.
DISCLOSURE: We may receive compensation for links to products on this website.
COMMENTS ARE MODERATED – Legitimate comments will be published after a short delay. Spam will not be published.
Melody McKinnon's formal education is in business management, which she enhanced with more than 60 certifications revolving around business, marketing, health, general sciences and writing. In over 20 years of working online, she has owned or managed both educational and eCommerce websites.
Melody has worked with many businesses & brands in a multitude of capacities. She can often be found on CanadiansInternet.com, CanadianFamily.net and AllNaturalPetCare.com, as well as other quality digital publications. Her content has earned reference links from highly-respected websites, magazines and university textbooks.